<< Unfriending Prison Inmates | Main | Defense Bar v. Cuddly Dog >>

News Scan

Security Flaw Could Let Prisons Get Hacked: Gerry Smith of The Huffington Post reports that at the DefCon hackers conference in Las Vegas this weekend, researchers showed a security flaw they found that could allow prisoners to escape if hackers breached a prison's computer system. The researchers said they have not simulated an attack to test the security flaw, but believe it is possible to launch a cyber prison break due in large part to prison guards not taking basic cyber security measures. For example, researchers touring a U.S. prison found a guard checking his email on a computer in the control room that communicates with the system that operates the doors. According to researchers, if that guard had clicked on a malicious link or attachment, a prison break could be triggered. The researchers said they briefed the federal government on their findings and received permission to give the presentation at the conference, but a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons said he was not aware of the researchers' findings.

LAPD Reviews 230 Cases For Connection To Grim Sleeper: Andrew Blankstein of the Los Angeles Times reports Los Angeles Police Department detectives have expanded the number of missing persons cases and unsolved killings they are reviewing in search for more victims of the Grim Sleeper serial killer. The LAPD is now reviewing 230 cases dating back to the mid-1970s. The Grim Sleeper suspect Lonnie David Franklin Jr., has been charged in 10 killings and one count of attempted murder.

Once Exonerated Man Ordered Back To Prison: Dave Collins of The Associated Press reports George Gould was ordered back to prison yesterday, a month after the Connecticut Supreme Court reinstated murder convictions against him and Ronald Taylor. Taylor has terminal colon cancer and was allowed to remain out on bail while both men await a new appeal trial. Gould and Taylor were convicted of murder for the 1993 fatal shooting of a grocery shop owner in New Haven. In April 2010, after 16 years in prison, both men were freed after Superior Court Judge Stanley Fuger ruled they were victims of "manifest injustice'' and declared them "actually innocent" after a key prosecution witness recanted her trial testimony. Prosecutors appealed to the state Supreme Court, which unanimously decided last month that Gould and Taylor hadn't proven their innocence and ordered a new habeas corpus hearing for them. Taylor and Gould's lawyers say they are considering whether to appeal the state Supreme Court decision to the federal courts.

Leave a comment

Monthly Archives